Monday, August 18, 2008

Visit from Sarah!




This week we had a wonderful visit from Sarah Benis Scheier-Dolberg, who brought some awesome culinary books for Julia and gentle wisdom and encouragement for Rachel. I am so lucky to have such a devoted friend! Bethany took us all to the Phillips Collection to see the "Migration Series" by Jacob Lawrence. Lawrence painted all 60 works simultaneously, one color at a time, to ensure the unity of the series. Amazing. I also enjoyed an exhibit of Richard Diebenkorn's New Mexico paintings, though of course my favorite two pieces had the only dashes of primary colors in the lot (tan being the dominant theme). I tend to consider myself a "narrative girl" - I'll take Genesis over the prophets, thank you - but I enjoy the challenge to experience color and form without immediately constructing a story. What is the experience of tan? I like to experience my tan with a dash of redemptive blue and red.

1 comment:

blogginglife said...

hum, I like the thoughts on the experience of colors. Back in high school i did a series of odd poems and short stories about colors, I didn't realize it at the time, but now i can see the underlying theme of color. At the time i really thought they were about the stories, narrative, characters and plot. but now i think about it, the stories were about colors. i never did write about tan. Perhaps it is time....